- Sexual Assault
- About Us
Nominations for the 2014 Teal Ribbon Award are now being accepted! Nomination forms are due January 10, 2014 by 5pm.
Sexual assault awareness is internationally recognized with the symbol of a teal ribbon. The Teal Ribbon Award is given annually to recognize departments that have shown leadership and commitment to creating awareness and reducing sexual violence in our campus community.
The MSU School of Social Work received the 2013 Teal Ribbon Award for their commitment to educating the campus community about sexual violence. Our School of Social Work at MSU creates leaders who embody the importance of collaboration and have the skill set to organize community key stakeholders to effectively address social injustice, oppression and community health concerns.
The MSU Women's Resource Center received the 2012 Teal Ribbon Award (our 5th anniversary of the event!) for their outstanding work on campus to end gender-based violence and create a safe environment for students. MSU Women's Resource Center staff were acknowledged for their frequent collaboration with community partners through safety fairs, resource fairs, conferences, and other community events. Their commitment to empowerment & education of girls and women is an inspiration to us all!
The MSU Vagina Monologues received the 2011 Teal Ribbon Award for their continued efforts to raise awareness of sexual violence and for their ongoing support of the MSU Sexual Assault Program. "The Vagina Monologues" production is a series of monologues that are based on Eve Ensler's interviews with women on relationships, sex, violence against women, and the perception of vaginas. In 2011, The MSU Vagina Monologues donated 90% of the proceeds from the performances to the MSU Sexual Assault Program. The remaining 10% was donated to the international cause to help women and girls in Haiti.
The Department of Residence Life received the 2010 Teal Ribbon Award for outstanding collaboration with the MSU Sexual Assault Program. Residence Life administrators were key in developing a mandatory referral policy requiring all Residence Life staff witnessing disclosures of sexual violence to refer to the MSU Sexual Assault Program. This policy creates a significant change for victims of violence by creating a safety net so that no student is silenced or isolated after disclosing an assault.
The Department of Psychology Violence Against Women Research & Outreach Initiative provide vital leadership for our campus and community in several ways. Dr. Rebecca Campbell served as Co-Chair of the Sexual Assault Task Force established in 2004 and informed the campus consortium, Violence Free Communities by Design, of a training grant sponsored by Centers for Disease Control (CDC) and served as the advisor in the grant writing process. MSU was awarded the CDC grant affording a five-person team to attend the PREVENT Institute for training in primary violence prevention. PhD Psychology candidates have conducted focus groups and implemented a student survey assessing the knowledge and attitudes of sexual assault, and re-established the Court Watch program in Ingham County to monitor the criminal justice system and the prosecution of sex offenders.
Dean James Forger & the College of Music are innovative leaders in increasing awareness of sexual violence within their college and the greater campus community. In 2007 the College of Music developed and implemented educational seminars to prevent sexual harassment and abuse from occurring within the College. This creative effort serves as a model for the entire academic community. The MSU Counseling Center Sexual Assault Program was pleased to honor Dean James Forger & The College of Music as the recipient of the 1 st Annual Teal Ribbon Award on Monday, March 24, 2008.